Monday, December 05, 2005

 

Friends

Over the last two weeks or so I've met up with quite a few friends and had a lovely time catching up with and swapping news. Meeting up with some OU pals (ex-A103ers) has been a highlight as we hadn't done that for quite a while. Sadly two of the bunch were ill and couldn't make it but we bravely carried on without them. We've called two of our get togethers 'Sleepovers' but not much sleeping gets done. 'Talkovers' would be a much more appropriate name.

A very old schoolfriend phoned up to check if I was still around and we ended reminiscing about our schooldays and what has happened since. Last Thursday I met with a couple of friends who haven't been able to get out and about as much as they used to and one of them presented me with her book. She managed to write it despite battling with breast cancer and having an operation on her shoulder. She's one pretty amazing woman.

Yesterday we had lunch with friends that we'd lost contact with. They are parents of my eldest daughter's friend and had moved back to Ireland the last time we heard. A chance meeting in Sainsbury's put us back in touch again. I discovered that one of the friends had done her degree through the OU about ten years ago and she was delighted to hear I was doing one now. On leaving, I was duly dispatched home with a bagfull of books to 'help me through my next course'.

It suddenly occurred to me this morning that I've always taken my friends for granted and assumed they'll always be around even when I'm ignoring them to do my courses. I think I can feel a New Year Resolution coming on - I must appreciate my friends and keep in contact from now on.

Friends are brilliant!

Comments:
I'm lucky - I don't have to choose between OU & friends :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?